International Sports Events in May 2011
Sudirman Cup, 2011
The 2011 Sudirman Cup was the twelfth tournament of the Sudirman Cup. It was held from May 22-29, 2011 in Qingdao, China. 32 teams competed and for the first time twelve teams competed in the elite group to battle for the title.
China defeated Denmark 3-0 in the final to win the Cup for the fourth consecutive time and eight time overall.
The Sudirman Cup is the World Team Badminton Championships, held every two years, and one of the most prestigious titles in the sport. The event was first held in the Bung Karno Stadium, Jakarta, Indonesia.
The Cup is named after Dick Sudirman, a former Indonesian Badminton player and the founder of the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI).
Mary Kom strikes gold at Asia Cup
Five-time world champion M.C. Mary Kom of India claimed her fist gold medal of the year, beating Asian champion Kim Myong-Sim of North Korea at the ASBC Asain Cup Women's Boxing championship, held in Haikou, China.
Earlier, Neetu (60kg), Kavita Goyal (75kg), Laxmi Padya (81kg) and Kavita Chahal (+81kg) earned bronze medals for their performances. Pavitra (featherweight) won a silver medal.
Manchester City's 35-year wait for a trophy ended when Yuva Toure's unstoppable shot sealed a deserved 1-0 win over Stoke City in the FA Cup final.
Premier League title
Manchester United were crowned English champions for a record 19th time when Wayne Rooney's penalty earned a 1-1 draw and the crucial point needed to win the title.
Champions League, 2011
Barcelona confirmed their place in the pantheon of football's greatest sides, outclassing Manchester United 3-1 at Wembley, London, to claim their second Champions League crown in last three years.
Salgaocar Sports Club of Goa defeated JCT Phagwara 2-0 in the last round match to score 56 points and emerge winners of the 2011 league.
Azlan Shah Cup, 2011
World champions Australia clinched their sixth Azlan Shah Cup by beating Pakistan 1-0.
The Indian campaign ended on a disappointing note a they finished sixth after going down 1-2 to South Korea in the classification match.
India Sports News in May 2011
Indian Premier League 20-Twenty Championship
Chennai Superkings defeated Royal Challengers, Bangalore by 58-runs to retain the title. The man of the match of the final was Murali Vijay, who scored 95 runs in 52 balls.
The main highlights of IPL-4:
- Chris Gayle, Bangalore, scored 608 runs in 12 matches to win the Orange Cap for the highest run-getter of the tournament.
- Paul Valthaty (Punjab) scored highest runs in an innings, 120 not out off 62 balls.
- Lasit Malinga (Mumbai) got 28 wickets in 16 matches to win the Purple Cap. He had one 5-wicket haul and his best figures were 5 for 13.
- Kieron Pollard (Mumbai) took most catches-10 catches in 16 matches.
- Jacques Kallis (Kolkata) took most catches in an innings-4 catches.
- Kumar Sangakkara (Deccan Chargers) had to his credit most dismissals by a wicketkeeper (19 dismissals in 13 matches)
- Ishant Sharma (Deccan Chargers)had the best bowling figures in any innings-5 for 12 in 3 overs against Kochi.
- Kings XI Punjab scored highest team total-232 for 2 against Bangalore.
Sachin Tendulkar has been given BCCI's player of the year award for his outstanding performances in 2009 and 2010.
Santosh Trophy, 2011
Bengal retained the trophy with a 2-1 win over Manipur. This was the 31st title win of the national championship by Bengal. Manipur was playing only in their second final after the title win in 2002.
Delhi men's team lifted the title by defeating Punjab 2-1. Haryana women's team defeated Punjab 4-1 to lift the women's title.
Last Updated on 7/9/2012